Saturday, November 23, 2013

Random connections

One of my friends posted a video on Facebook and when I watched it, I teared up.  See for yourself:



I love humans.  Living in New York City, I'm surrounded by millions of people at any given moment.  Occasionally that can be a difficult thing, but most of the time I am surprised by the amazing interactions I have on a daily basis.

Yesterday I had a conversation with a fellow pedestrian about the dangers of cyclists (something I've blogged about before), and how we're the lowest life form on the traffic food chain.  We walked a few blocks together and chatted like old friends before going our separate ways.

Today while in line at Marshalls I had a longer conversation with a friendly gal right in front of me.  We started talking about Trader Joe's and how crazy busy it is, and why on earth doesn't the BK location not have a wine store?  We then talked about school teachers and why they need wine, travel plans for Thanksgiving, cars, leather vs cloth upholstery, kids, and personal safety.  I found out that she has a 7 year old child, has family in Georgia, and that she has a Ford Fusion (we totally bonded over that fact - I miss you, Betty Ford!).

I've helped multiple people find their way on the streets of NYC, I've had conversations with someone I'm pressed up against on the subway, I've met new friends at Meetup events, I talk to people wherever I go in this great city.

I'm sure you're all not surprised by this, if you know me at all you know that I love meeting new people and talking to strangers.  My new part-time job at Starbucks fuels that true extrovert personality trait, I had at least a dozen little random connections today alone.  I really value and appreciate these moments because it brings me happiness and keeps me believing in the good of my fellow human beings.

If you are not naturally an extrovert, give it a try.  You never know who you might connect with, who you might uplift, and you probably will at the very least make someone smile.

Me and dear ole Betty Ford - my 2009 Ford Fusion SEL.  V6, alloy wheels, leather interior with contrast stitching, Sync, fancy cool running lights, seat warmers, all the bells and whistles.  I hope your new owner is being nice to you!

P.S. I know we haven't posted regularly in a LONG time.  But I have about 50 draft blog ideas and lots to catch up on, stories and photos to share, and I promise to record the myriad random thoughts that occur in my head daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment