Monday, January 13, 2014

Riding In Subway Cars With Strangers And The Thoughts That Ensue

I am an adult-child with a very serious case of ADD whenever I am on the train.  And yes yes, I know, ADD is nothing to joke about, yada yada yada.  But it's true!  Just to give you an example of the observation-inspired thoughts that run through my head in the quick 30 minute commute to and fro work:

"Oh my that woman has small feet.....I wonder if it's difficult for her to find shoes in her size.....", "I wonder what song that girl's rockin' out to? Her white headband's a bit dirty; oh wait, that's an earphone headpiece.... BEATS BY DRE!" (more on the 'Beats By Dre' game Kel & I play later)*; "That's a nice jacket that lady has on as she's admiring herself in the window reflection; I wonder if people ever catch me stealing a glance at my reflection?"; "Oh. My. Gosh. Does anybody else see this? That man has half his finger up his nose! He's digging for gold!!"; "What a sweet kid that young boy was to hold the subway door open for me and then he offered me some of his chocolate bar; I wonder if the chocolate was laced with anything and he was trying to roofy me?; What's wrong with me, I bet there was nothing in the chocolate; I mean, hey, he's still got it out and it does look pretty tasty..."; "No f%$#@*' way! That booger-chaser is still at it!! Somebody else has gotta be seeing this. Oh phew, that guy sees it. But he's so close. Ewwww." "Oh wow, I love when we come up on the bridge; I am seriously head over heels for the NYC skyline; I feel like a peeping tom fiending for a glance of her beauty whenever I get the chance; which window should I look out? Up river or down river?"; "Wait, was that a text? I better queue in to see if Matt & Kel said anything in the roomie chat. Maybe I should check my work email. But I just left work."; "Ooooh no way, that chick is totally reading 'A Tree Grows In Brooklyn'! Should I tell her I'm reading it too?! No, that'd be weird. But kinda cool. But weirder to interrupt her."; "What comic book is that guy reading? Looks kinda interesting. But kinda dark. I wonder why I never got into comics. I don't think any of my friends are either, but it's totally an admirable interest. I dig it and I support the reading of comic books. I mean, it's just another form of...." "Oh wow, is that dried blood on the seat next to him? Shit shit shit, that's a lot of blood. So glad I didn't sit there. Mental note: make sure to look for blood and visible body fluids and/or grossness before sitting and/or holding the rails."; "I wonder what Harris is doing right now. Man I miss him. But I just saw him yesterday and am going to see him tomorrow. Patience, self. Patience!" "Let's see, it's 3:30p.m back home. I bet Mama's still at work and Daddio's on his way home. Wonder if I have time to give them a quick buzz before we go back underground? No, I'll wait until I get to 7th Ave. and am en route home. I hope I remember." (Didn't remember); "Ohp, there we go below ground again. Subway riding is so fun. I just love riding the subway. It's kinda like a roller coaster of sorts. Thank God I have not experienced any major subway delays yet. Knock. On. Wood! Mental note: always bring water and some sort of a snack in my bag while on subway."; "What the hell is in that big box that dude has over there? Hmm. Looks like you could fit a person in there."; "I haven't seen the 'Showtime, Showtime' kids lately. Wonder where they're hibernating for the winter?"; "Atlantic Station. Should I get off and walk? Is Kelly working at SBUX? I could stop in and say hi. Do we need anything from Target? Meh, I'll just take this to 7th."; "Do we need anything from the store?" "Oh wow, that guy has awesome Oxfords. I'd like to get some Oxfords. Damnit, I should've gotten those sweet Oxford up at the Santa Barbara Nordstrom's two years ago. I would be so stylish now." "I haven't ridden the subway with Matty in a while. Those mornings were fun." "I hope to get to ride the subway with Kels in the a.m. sometimes, although I don't think we'll be taking the same train." "It's so funny how I have taken the 'B' line this entire time and I have worked in two different neighborhoods. Man I love riding on the subway." "Oh man, look at that graffiti. Who would deface public property like that? Although it's kinda pretty and artistic. But still. Kids these days, sheesh." "Is that guy staring at me? Do I have a booger in my nose or something? Meh. Let it hang."; "Wow, that was a fast trip home, and I didn't even take my book out. Guess I needed to think it out."; "He is totally staring at me. Creeeeeeepyyyyy. Let's hope he doesn't get off at 7th. And if he does, I'll lose him on the streets or double back. Oh thank God he didn't get off. But he's still staring. WTF?" "Ah, it's so good to be home. I love our apartment and I love Brooklyn. I really just love it here." "I wonder what I should have for dinner? I wonder if Kel's eaten dinner and we should make Matty some?"; "Man, it's warm out tonight. Don't need my gloves or scarf, that's fo' sho'."; "Man I love it here." "Happy Monday, self. Happy flippin' Monday. One day closer to seeing Harris. Woohoo!"

* 'Beats By Dre' is not only a popular headphone brand used and amused by much of the music-listening public today but it's also a game Kel and I play with each other, inspired by the countless 'Beats By Dre' listeners flooding the streets. Think 'SlugBug'.

And that's all for now, folks. More subway thoughts at a later time. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment