Thursday, September 4, 2014

So Retro[spective]

Alright blogosphere - it's officially been +3 months since blogging last and while I can't speak for the other half of this blog when I say it's good to be back, it would also be good for some consistency wouldn't you say? But, well, LIFE gets in the way! A NYC life, that is! And let me first-handedly tell you that a NYC minute goes by faster. I swear to you! I swear that time passes by more quickly here than, well, the other places I have lived in because I can't account for the rest of the world let alone universe and galaxy. But this past year let alone the past three months have just FLOWN. BY. I know they've especially flown by because this past weekend, Labor Day 2014, marks the one year 'meet-versary' for me and my bf and while we have done quite a bit in terms of new experiences, adventures, creating fun and fond memories, and LIVING LIFE, I swear, it really doesn't feel like it's been a year. But it has!

Just a year ago we were renting cottage #7 out at the Beehive. Me and my four guests - Kel, Matty, Erica and new friend at the time, Rachel. We were excited to be heading out to 'the Hamptons' for our first time - most of our first times, anyway - and we were so excited to be 'leaving the city' in true NYer fashion for our first extended holiday weekend as NYers. Me, Kel, and Matty, anyway. I took the reigns for finding us a Hampton rental. Hell, with two days to spare until the holiday weekend and I was the one really pushing for the 'ultimate Hamptons getaway', I knew it was up to me to make it happen. Sometimes you just know when you oughta get behind the wheel. And this was definitely one of those times. We'd not - Matty, Kel and myself - been NY residents for more than two months and I knew we just had to see what the Hamptons were all about. Well, to be more candid, I was inspired for a Hamptons getaway by then standalone ad tech startup MoPub (since acquired by Twitter. Damn, should have jumped to MoPub. Ah, hindsight........ =D) was hosting a Labor Day house in Sag Harbor. My oh-so-fabulous friend Erica notified me of the party because she's on some amazingly exclusive and oh-so-fabulous VIP invite list that I can't for the life of me figure out how to get on, but she is. (but then again, I never really put much effort in getting on the list. Too many industry events, too little time! #digitaladvertisingindustryproblems) Well we used this invite to their party as the impetus for checking out Hamptons-Labor Day rentals, and so there we were.

Two days, I kid you not, two days before the official Labor Day 2013 was to happen, and my search and referral-process for finding a hot spot in the Hamptons was widdled down to two: a share-house in Sag Harbor - reasonable taxi-ride worthy from the MoPub party house, or a waterfront bungalow in Westhampton Beach, about a 45 minute drive from the party. Oy........what to do? WHAT. TO. DO?! My process of elimination wasn't too difficult. To be frank, other than being turned off to the obvious shtick the sleezy realtor who was 'cutting me a steep discount' on the Sag Harbor share house was feeding me, I oh so quickly, and so hard, fell in love over the phone with the property manager/my contact for the Westhampton Beach spot. #SWOON I mean, seriously, was this guy for reals?! He had such great energy, he was so punctual with response time, and he was so gracious over the phone. He even offered use of his stove-top that he was expecting to use that Saturday night with his friends to make lobster rolls. What. A. Guy! He was so lovely to converse with, so accommodating, so tuned in, so patient with me and the 12,786 questions I had. And the joy, the energy in his voice!! It was really very consuming and I even made a remark to Kel  about how he ".......has a strong name and sounds really cute. But I'm sure he's either gay or taken." To which Kel agreed, and then continued into a "thought he was cute over the phone story." Love her stories.

                                            
                                    View of #7 from standing somewhere in the bay - Labor Day, 2013

At the end of the day, the Beekeeper sold me. It was a great deal on a sweet spot in Westhampton Beach, just 80 miles outside of the city easily accessible off of a couple of freeway, ahem, excuse me, expressways, and we would be there. My research indicated that Westhampton Beach is the 'crunchier' of the Hamptons and that some don't even consider it a Hampton at all. Perfect! Because we're all kind of crunchy people at heart - well I definitely am - and as for the 'real' Hamptons - well, they're just a hop skip and jump away from this Beehive Bungalows spot so no problem, we'll just take the drive if we feel so inclined. We ended up renting #7 at the Beehive Bungalows. We packed up, rented a ZipCar, and made the drive out east towards what would unbeknowst to me - become a second-like summer home to me the following summer. But we'll get to that. We're still at the discovery phase just yet. =D And for all intents and purposes, my bf and I are most definitely still at the discovery phase as we're 'officially' just 9 mths into our relationship. I'm not one to hurry things and I'm especially not one to make emphasis on things like dating anniversaries for Heaven's sake. Yes, Harris and I met a year ago. But we really, truly, don't need to make a big deal out of it. What am I kidding myself - YES WE DO! We met each other, the loves of our lives, by happenstance, by me simply choosing to go with him than the other rental broker in S.H. - and by me moving here all the way from across the country - sweet sunny California. And yes, California is definitely a sweet place to grow up in and live in. But NY is so oh so savory. Damn. I digress. But not for much more of the story is to tell. More so, there is so much more of the story to be written. But to the prologue - after doing our due diligence with researching Westhampton Beach, the commute thereto and the tips, tricks, and fun sights and sees thereof, we made it to the Beehive Bungalows. To some recollection we think we headed out there on Friday. To others we think we got out there on Saturday. Either way - when we showed up to the Beehive and parked our - luxury-liner SUV - car, got out, stretched about, and..............there he was. But better than what I had imagined on the phone. He was wearing a white v-neck, cargo shorts, had a cute beaded necklace on, wearing flip flops, hands on his hips and a huge cheeky smile on his face. He immediately greeted us, "Welcome to the Beehive, guys!" And the rest, in terms of our meet-cute, well the rest of that weekend is history. Or for those of you that know the finer details, to be kept to those who know the finer details. ;-)

#welcometothebeehive #thenextchapterdeveloping #CAtoNY #pinchme #eastmeetswest


Then: Harris serenading us beachside with Disney tunes. What a hunk! 


Then: Labor Day 2013 #smittenalready #whatsheightgottodowithit


                                      
Now: Yankees vs. White Sox game, 8/24/14


Now: Letting our silly flags fly post bike-ride to Cupsogue from the 'Hive



Now: One of my faves - unfiltered TLC out in Greenport 8/26/14

No comments:

Post a Comment